Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Biblical Reflection: Isaiah 3:19


Men will go into caves in the rocks and into holes in the earth, from the terror of the Lord and the splendor of his majesty, when he arises to overawe the earth. (Isaiah 3: 19)

by M. J. Joachim

Overwhelming, that’s how it felt today while searching through my Bible to write a blog post based on a biblical quote.

I’d been at a loss all morning, so I busied myself with other things. Sure, I could research the biography of our ninth pope. That’s a given and will be posted in due time.

After finishing a few things on today’s To Do List, I sat down and offered my daily prayers. The Bible came to mind. Should be easy enough, I thought.

Not so.

The words were harsh, fearful and full of power. The Psalms were raging with condemnation, the parables were meant for those who could not understand. Hannah was an extremely unhappy woman, praying through her deep sorrow and misery, to God. Men were fools, completely devoid of wisdom.

Taken out of context and on the fly, these words have the power to mess with our psyches. We fail to understand that Hannah prayed for a child – and that her child (God’s answer to her prayer), became none other than the prophet, Samuel.

We dismiss the history being traced in the Book of Psalms, the culture in which it takes place. We lose heart over stories – so simple, yet amazingly complicated too.

Terror & Splendor – mighty words, indeed!

The majesty of our God is so great – THAT GREAT, we have little alternative, but to fear his omnipotence!

Thank you for visiting Being Catholic.

Until next time, I wish you every good thing.

M. J.

Photo credit:  Isaiah, Province Lithograph Company (1904), PD - US
Source: New American Catholic Bible
©2013 All Rights Reserved