Saturday, February 16, 2013

God’s Creation at Work in My Backyard


by M. J. Joachim



I spent some time in the garden today, and simply have to share what I found!




I didn’t plant these daffodil and hyacinth bulbs here. I actually pulled all mine from a completely different area of the garden last fall, and planted them in pots, way on the other side of the yard.




My broccoli plants fascinate me. They were first planted last spring, over where the new daffodils and hyacinth are growing now. I transplanted them last summer, since most of them survived the extreme heat of summer here (110+ degrees from July – September), and they seemed to need a bit more shade. They’ve been producing for nearly a year now. I leave some to flower. The bees love them and never bother me when I water.





My cabbage and snow peas are preparing for a fabulous spring harvest. I’ll admit to eating the outside cabbage leaves for the past few months already.  Oh, and check out these radishes. We’ve been eating radishes for months now. I’m letting these go to seed and flower, for the bees and other little critters that visit my yard.




As for these potato plants…




Their arrival is always a surprise to me. This is the second year I’ve found large, healthy potato plants growing in my compost pile. Last year’s crop was positively delicious.

Isn’t God and everything He creates absolutely amazing?!

Until next time, I wish you every good thing.

Thank you for visiting Being Catholic today,

M. J.

©2013 All Rights Reserved