Sunday, February 10, 2013

Praying through Nightmares


by M. J. Joachim
Two very simple prayers, the Prayer of the Miraculous Medal and an utterance from Divine Mercy, are my lifelines throughout my daily life.

O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.

Jesus I trust in you.

These are the words that sustain me when nothing else will.

Last night I had a nightmare – I rarely have dreams, let alone nightmares. Shaking, I quietly prayed these words, then turned to my husband and said, “I’m scared.”

He hugged me. I continued praying quietly, so as not to disturb him further. He asked if I was alright; I told him yes, but that I’d had a nightmare. He held me tighter and we both went back to sleep.

This morning I woke up early. As I made the coffee and thought about my nightmare, I prayed my favorite words. I was okay and I knew it. Peace was within reach, even though the nightmare had scared me terribly.

Working through my thoughts throughout the day, with computer ever at my fingertips, I looked up the symbolism of my dream. It was about a power struggle – I was working out changes which would make me a healthier soul.

I say soul because the things that hold me back most in life, are scars I had no power to prevent. They are wounds, imprinted deeply – wounds that left an indelible mark, pains and fears that have held the power to diminish my capacity to be who I was created to be.

This is my path, the journey I was born to take. At times, it is my cross and curse. Last night’s nightmare proved I’m not invincible. Yes, I’m tough. I’ve had to be, but I’m not made of steel. I made choices in my dream, choices that didn’t prevent the pain, but empowered me to stand up and walk, in spite of it.

For years, I’ve carried wounds from the past into my present and future…not like a badge of honor – more like I didn’t know what else to do with them. They were a part of me. They made me who I am contributed to who I have become. God made me who I am, and God alone has the power to mold my soul.

That’s all for now kind followers.
Until next time, I wish you every good thing.

M. J.

Photo credit: Miraculous Medal, Catholic Church, Public Domain; Divine Mercy Sanctuary, Vilnius, Alma Pater, GNU Free Documentation License
©2013 All Rights Reserved