Thursday, March 14, 2013

Speculating, Distinguishing and Sharing the Catholic Faith


by M. J. Joachim
White smoke rose and Pope Francis I, our newly elected pope from South America took his place of honor as the new leader of the Roman Catholic Church. While many report facts and speculate on the matter, I’m not tempted to form an opinion, educated or otherwise. Skip the politics, please, and pray for the new leader of the Church. The rest will reveal itself in time.

I finished drafting my A – Z posts for Being Catholic this morning, something that caught me by surprise, having switched my mind numerous times about a theme and what I would do for next month’s challenge. Prayer, reflection and hope paved the path toward sharing bits and pieces of the Catholic faith, and what it’s like to be Catholic. I’ll be sharing more about this throughout the next two weeks, before the Challenge begins.

In the process of researching my A – Z posts for this blog, I came across the phrase, “old catholic church.” This is a church that separated itself from the traditional Catholic Church. They have their own ideas about things and wish to practice faith their own way. Martin Luther did that by forming the Lutheran Church. This group did that by forming the Old Catholic Church. It’s confusing and misleading, and doesn’t sit well with me at all.

Speaking of the A – Z Challenge, there’s still time to sign up. I debated long and hard about entering this particular blog in the Challenge, until I realized the opportunity of it. I have a chance to share my faith (like only I can share it) with others. I have a chance to speak the truth, not from a fire and brimstone, cattle to the slaughter, blind and unyielding point of view, but from the perspective of a woman who lives her catholic faith (albeit imperfectly), loves God and cherishes the life He alone has given her.

Being Catholic (this blog) isn’t about towing the line and regurgitating do’s and don’ts within the Catholic Church. It’s about living as a Christian, loving others and trusting God to sort out the details.

With that in mind, I encourage you to share your faith with others through the A – Z Challenge next month. Many new people will discover and visit your blog, and this is an opportunity to evangelize in cyberspace. It’s a chance to share the hope you feel, meet people with similar doubts you may have and personally learn and grow spiritually yourself. If you haven’t already, I sincerely hope you’ll sign up and join us.

Thank you for visiting Being Catholic,

M. J.

Photo credit:  Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio (Pope Francis I), Aibdescalzo, GFDL

©2013 All Rights Reserved