Friday, March 8, 2013

Spiritual Poetry: Knowing Empathy


Knowing Empathy by M. J. Joachim

I searched my heart for words
To explain how much I knew
About a topic wanting only
To discover what is true

The sun lights up the day
The stars come out at night
It happens systematically
So we know all things are right



Creation burst forth every spring
In winter it will sleep
It happens automatically
My mind can’t go that deep

People want to be accepted
In a world rejecting pain
Making their own community
As they sleep out in the rain

I’ve tried to understand it
How my mind just doesn’t know
The things that happen faithfully
As I search within my soul

I know to eat my vegetables
I’ve learned some basic skills
But what I’ve never mastered
Is that crazy battle of wills

My mind will never overcome
The secrets of my heart
As stars keep getting wished upon
My brain won’t play a part

When my last day is over
And I’m headed who knows where
The hope I kept assures me
That to know, is not necessarily, to care

Thank you for visiting Being Catholic.
Until next time, I wish you every good thing.

M. J.

Photo credit:  Knowledge, Robert Lewis Reid, U. S. Library of Congress, Prints and Photograph Division, Public Domain
©2013 All Rights Reserved