Friday, March 1, 2013

St. Bridget Meditation Prayer & Reflection: Suffering on the Mount of Olives


by M. J. Joachim

Begin by praying one Our Father and One Hail Mary.

Eternal Father, through Mary’s unblemished hands and the Divine Heart of Jesus, I offer you the terrifying suffering of Jesus’ Heart on the Mount of Olives and every drop of His Bloody Sweat as atonement for my and all of humanity’s sins of the heart as protection against such sins and for the spreading of Divine and brotherly Love. (Sins of the heart would be those times when we withheld our love from others in need.)

I was staring out the window looking at my broccoli plants today. They are in full bloom – for whatever reason, we didn’t pick and eat all the broccoli flowerets in time, and now I have the most beautiful display of flowers to show for it. Plus, dozens of seedpods are developing on the plants, which are invaded by more bees than I can reasonably count.

Yesterday, when I was watering my garden, I had to be careful of the bees. Everything was in dire need of water, even the broccoli. Bees or no bees, I intended to sooth my weary plants. Mind you, I’m allergic to bee stings, so there was some risk involved.

Cooperation and love played out well in the scene. The bees let me know they didn’t want to be bothered – one or two doing a fly by near my hose, the others buzzing a little more loudly to let me know I better keep my distance. I put the hose toward the ground, making every effort not to disturb the bees pollinating my plants. They were merely doing God’s work, after all, fulfilling God’s plan for them according to His grand design.

The bees and I seemed to have an understanding, and allowed for things to play out (carefully) without unnecessary fear or repercussion. Would that we could do so with all human beings who cross our paths, to live the message of the prayer stated above. 

Human hearts are funny things – they lend themselves to all sorts of damage and breakage. They enjoy the folly and recklessness of a good fight too. And sadly enough, they can turn a blind eye to human suffering without even flinching.

These are the sins paid for by God’s holy, bloody sweat. The indifference, callousness and cruelty of mankind – the darkest parts of our souls that would sooner kick a man while he’s down, than lift him up out of the gutter, give him some respect and treat him with dignity for all to see.

Without the flower, there is no bee. Without the bee, there is no seed. Without the seed, life suffocates and dies. We are called to be the flower, bee and seed at different moments in our lives, all working together in cooperation with the love of God.

Thank you for visiting Being Catholic.

M. J.

Photo credit:  M. J. Joachim (I know it is difficult to see all the bees in these photos, but if you look closely, you’ll find them hidden among the flowers.)
©2013 All Rights Reserved