Wednesday, March 6, 2013

St. Bridget Meditation Prayer & Reflection: The Crucifixion of Jesus


by M. J. Joachim

Begin by praying one Our Father and one Hail Mary.

Eternal Father, through Mary’s unblemished hands and the Divine Heart of Jesus, I offer You Your Son on the Cross, His nailing and raising, His wounds on the Hands and Feet, and the three streams of His Precious Blood that poured forth from these for us, His extreme tortures of the Body and Soul, His precious death and its non-bleeding renewal in all Holy Masses on earth, as atonement for all wounds against vows and regulations within the Orders, as reparation for my and all of the world’s sins, for the sick and the dying, for all holy priests and laymen, for the Holy Father’s intentions toward the restoration of Christian families, for the strengthening of faith, for our country and unity among all nations in Christ and His Church, as well as for those who feel exiled from faith and family.  (The end of this prayer is actually “as well as for the Diaspora.” The Diaspora referred to the Jews who were then in exile and scattered all over the world. Today Israel is their home, for those Jews who wish to live there, so the wording was changed to include everyone.)

Everyone is embraced by the Cross of Christ in this prayer. Love is not tested, but rather affirmed, in an all-consuming embrace. This is how we need to treat each other in the world. Less judgment and criticism – more affirmation...more hugs!!!

It is not our job to make other people better human beings. At the end of the day, when we finally meet Jesus face to face, are we seriously going to brag about how we helped everyone else on their journey? I hate to say it, but I think He’ll laugh us right out of His presence, if we dare to do such a thing. So what makes us so comfortable treating each other that way here on earth? How can we possibly justify picking apart our fellow human beings?

As I reflect on Jesus hanging and dying on the cross, it is impossible to look at anyone else. Perhaps that’s the point. Jesus looks directly at me. He asks the Father to forgive me, because I don’t know what I’m doing. He pours His blood and Divine Mercy out on me.

It’s not my job to look at my family member or neighbor, while Jesus is looking directly into my eyes from the source of my salvation and His Holy Sacrifice. It’s not my place to turn away from His loving and sorrowful gaze, pleading with me to turn to Him in all His glory and travel my own path, not anyone else’s. It’s not my right to raise myself up, as though I’m somehow better than any other person He died for.

All for one. One for all. Jesus died for everyone, but more importantly, He died for me. He died for you. He died for each and every single individual ever born. We’re all on the same team, but we’re also very much responsible and will be held accountable, for how we respond as individual team players.

Thank you for visiting Being Catholic.
Until next time, I wish you every good thing.

M. J.

Photo credit:  The Crucifixion, Simon Vouet, PD-KONST
©2013 All Rights Reserved