Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Big 10 Countdown - #5 & Random Acts of Kindness Blog Hop, Day 3

by M. J. Joachim

It’s the strangest thing. I’m spending more time for the RAK Blog Hop on my Writing Tips blog than I am here, and this is the blog I entered in the fest. What’s a girl to do? For whatever reason, that’s the way it’s working out. It’s all good. RAK gets double exposure from me this way, which technically could be considered another random act of kindness, I believe.

And now for our Big 10 Countdown #5

Honor Your Father and Your Mother

Oh, do I have a few things to say about this one…

Times sure have changed, haven’t they? Even when I was blood curdling mad at my folks, I wouldn’t dream of saying some of the things kids say today to them! When did we decide it was okay to let kids run amuck at the mouth and get all high and mighty with their elders? I blame it in part on too much child psychology – something I took more than my share of college classes for, during my quest to become a teacher way back when.

My years of teaching are a distant memory now, my dream of being a teacher more than fulfilled, with memories that couldn’t be more satisfying. One of my biggest conflicts with teaching, however, is the political push to undermine the parents. I didn’t realize how much of a problem this was until I had my own kids. By the way, if you don’t play, they soon leave you alone, as long as your kids remain off their radar.

I got into teaching to teach ordinary classes in extraordinary ways. Hands on was my preferred method of choice and my students enjoyed learning the material they later proved to master through test scores. I didn’t dink around with trying to second guess parents. Parents and families always came first in my mind. Teaching was a service I provided, much like hiring someone to clean your home or help you stay healthy. You need and appreciate their services, but you don’t want to give them the power to take over and rearrange your life.

The tail wags the dog when priorities aren’t in their proper order. I blame adults and a misguided society for much of the disrespect too many kids express toward their parents and authority figures these days. Parents need to be uplifted, to be honored and respected the way I believe God intends in the fifth commandment. The attack on parents as primary authority figures in their children’s lives is unacceptable, and the price we pay for it is clear.

This post is part of the Random Acts of Kindness Blog Hop

Links relating to Random Acts of Kindness



Thank you for visiting Being Catholic.

M. J.

Photo credit:  David’s Charge to Solomon, Edward Burne-Jones (1833 – 1898), US-PD

©2013 All Rights Reserved