Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas 2013 Reflection

By M. J. Joachim




As Christmas rapidly approaches, I need to reflect on the year that will quickly soon pass. It’s been a tough year for me, filled with so many uncertainties. My brother’s illness last March was nearly fatal. By the grace of God he survived, though his life and habits will be forever changed. My sister too, last May, faced health’s wrath and continues to be very sickly even today. Then my mother passed in June – I think about her everyday.

My own health had its ups and downs – kidney stones, stress and the realization that I am indeed gluten intolerant. Uncertainty, change and a gut wrenching desire to cling to hope and stay positive in a world that could easily turn upside down on a moment’s notice.

Yet nothing could be more certain than my trust in God and the utmost knowledge that He loves me more than anything. How do I know this, you might ask. It is a quiet inner peace, deep within my soul. We are so much more than flesh and bones. How else could we laugh when we want to cry, discover beauty when life appears to look so ugly, conquer fear when it could kill us and look to the heavens in search of more?

I’ve kept myself busy – sometimes with thoughtful writing, other times with mindless busy work. Busy work has a solid purpose in life. It is a distraction that helps us refocus our energy when we aren’t sure how. It is productive, allowing us to feel good about our accomplishments. It is time away, until we are able to sort out the tug of wars taking place in our hearts.

Time is of the essence. The essence takes time to understand. We are of God – made in His image, an image incarnate – The Word made flesh, born in a manger, determined to save us all…

If only we will let Him.

Merry Christmas, dear people! May God bless you richly in 2014!

M. J.

©2013 All Rights Reserved

Photo credit: Lokilech, Saardom Dillingen Krippe, GNU Free Documentation License