Sunday, January 12, 2014

Weekly Bible Verse Reflection Blog Hop 011214

By M. J. Joachim

Saul replied to Samuel: “I have sinned, for I have disobeyed the command of the Lord and your instructions. In my fear of the people, I did what they said. (1 Samuel, Chapter 15, Verse 24)
This verse screams to me! I think of Ancient Rome, Slavery, Hitler, Roe vs. Wade and the recent housing market collapse. I think of how often so many of us just go with the flow, accepting things as if we don’t have a voice or choice in the matter. Without warning, something punches me in the gut, bringing me back to my senses.

Maybe we don’t have control over all the evil in the world, but we don’t have to stand idly by and keep to ourselves about it either. There’s no doubt we will make some people uncomfortable, when we choose the less popular side, the one that boldly states, “It’s not okay. What’s happening is wrong, and we don’t intend to play the game, for the sake of keeping peace and not ruffling feathers.”

I’m not talking about waging war on the powers that be. I’m talking about being who we are – Christians abiding by Christian principles. Only God can convert hearts. We have an opportunity to be His tools, if He so chooses to use us as such.

We in turn have tools at our disposal. One of my tools is my blogs, a place where my voice will never be silent. Just this past week, I wrote a post on Effectively Human titled, Regarding a Father’s Rights and the Right to Be Born. It was inspired by a conversation with my son, a man with rights of his own, sharing his voice to discuss important issues affecting his generation. 

These issues have affected many generations now, and they will continue to do so. Our discussion reminded me once again, silence can be deadly. We need to use our voice, exercising our right to free speech, and touching the lives around us with the tools we have been given.

Reflecting on the Word of God is vitally important for Christians of every denomination. This blog hop offers a unique opportunity for us to discuss the same Bible verse together, on a weekly basis.
Simply add your blog to the link list provided, and share your reflections in turn. All I ask is that you link to this blog in your post, since I am the host of the hop.

The Bible verse to be reflected on next week, January 19, 2014, is:

Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8, Verse 12)

I sincerely hope you’ll join us! Please remember, if you don’t have time to post on Sunday, posting on Monday or Tuesday will be just fine.

Thank you for visiting and commenting on Christian Catholic today. I’ll look forward to seeing you again soon.

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved
Photo Credit: David Ball, A Bible from 1859, GNU Free Documentation License (Please note: If you use the above photo with your post, proper credit as listed must be included with your post.)